Herbs for High Blood Pressure
1. Luo bu ma: bland in taste and cold in nature. Anchor yang clear heat promote urination and lower the blood pressure. Suitable for high blood pressure due to liver yang rising or liver heat with dizziness, headache, irritability, insomnia. Single use simply put into hot water drink as tea or combine with Xia ku cao, Ye ju hua, Gou teng.
2. Xi qian cao: bitter in taste and cold in nature. Extinguish wind open channels clear heat and lower blood pressure. Use with Chou wu tong for high blood pressure with rheumatism.
3. Chou wu tong: bitter and pungent in taste and cool in nature. Similar to Xi qian cao. no for long term cooking.
4. Xia ku cao: bitter and pungent in taste and cold in nautre. Function to clear liver heat, dissipate stagnation, transform phlegm and lower the blood pressure. Either soaking or boiling good for high blood pressure due to liver heat or liver yang rising.
5. Gou teng: sweet in taste and slight cold. Clear liver heat and extinguish liver wind. Good for high blood pressure with distending headache.
6. Ju hua: slightly bitter and cold. Mildly clear liver heat and brighten eyes. Good for long term use.
7. Du zhong: sweet and warm in taste and nature. Tonify liver and kidney, strengthen sinews and bones, and lower the blood pressure. Combine with Shi jue ming, Xia ku cao, Bai shao, for high blood pressure with weak constitution.
8. Jue ming zi: sweet and cold in taste and nature. Clear liver heat, brighten eyes, and moisten intestine.Lower the blood pressure and cholesterol to prevent arteriosclerosis. Good for senior patients with high blood pressure and constipation.
9. Shi jue ming: salty and sweet in taste and cold in nature. Clear liver heat, anchor liver yang, and brighten eyes. Combine with Sheng di huang, Gou teng, Bai shao, Ju hua good for high blood pressure with headache and dizziness.
10. Chong wei zi: the fruit of Yi mu cao. Sweet in taste and slightly cold. Function to invigorate blood, cool the liver and brighten eyes. To lower the blood pressure often combine with Sheng di huang, Gou teng, Jue ming zi.
11. Di long: the earthworm salty in taste and cold in nature. Good effects to lower the blood pressure. Either make it into powder 2g per time twice a day drink with hot water or use with other herbs.
12. Ge gen: pungent and sweet in taste cool in nature. Good for high blood pressure with dizziness, headache, numbness of the body and tinnitus.
13. Mu dan pi: modern research shows that decoction of this herb is very effective to lower the blood pressure.
14. Huang qin: bitter and cold. Modern research shows that strong action to lower the blood pressure also relieve the symptoms of chest pain, irritability and headache.
15. Man jing zi: lower the blood pressure and brighten eyes.
Formulas to treat High Blood Pressure
1. Tian ma gou teng yin: liver yang rising with kidney deficiency.
2. Long dan xie gan tang: liver fire with severe headache, red tongue yellow coating slippery pulse.
3. Qi ju di huang wan: weak constitution with dizziness, lower back pain. good for long term use.
4. Dang gui lu hui wan: strong headache with constipation.
5. Luo bu ma jiang ya pian: could combine with other medicine to improve the curative effects.